two long legs...

Friday, February 04, 2005

What goes around, comes around

So my sister in law blogs. She's the reason I blog. When she doesn't blog for awhile, I get antsy...what really is going on in her life? How are we supposed to keep up when she's so quiet?? So this morning...well, here I am.

The weekend with Jen was fabulous. She's the bestest friend and person anyone could ask to know! She's just so real and honest. Honesty's probably the thing I like most about her. She's not afraid to tell me when I'm out of line...and she says it in a way that doesn't make you feel like an idiot, but that you made a mistake and it's ok to make mistakes. She also doesn't hold the mistake over your head for more than a minute or two...and then all is restored. (It really is just the perfect amount of time to feel guilt and reflect on how I could have handled the situation better without replaying things over and over...)

I sometimes wonder why I accept admonition from her so well. Maybe it's because she's the only one who seriously gives it to me and I know there's no grudge in the future. Maybe it's because she makes mistakes, too and doesn't hide them. Maybe it's because we've established such a trust in our friendship that I know in 10 years, we'll still be getting together. Maybe it's because she knows I have pride issues and only mentions the things that she knows will make me a better person; she doesn't admonish to make herself look better. That's probably it. She's genuine. She's generous. She's thoughtful. She makes an effort to know and love. I often say, everyone deserves a friend like my Jen. Lord, help me to be a friend like that.

The rest of the weekend was also wonderful. I got new shoes. Cute white and green ones. :) We went out for supper with Jen's parents. Always a treat. Got a great Bran muffin recipe. Had lunch with my mother in law on Sunday. Had a great time with her. Went to see Sam and Tom in the evening. I miss those angels. Their hugs and kisses and stories are sometimes the exact medicine this auntie needs! I love that Stewart knows I need to see them more. He's making a real effort to do that and it's SO appreciated!

Speaking of Stewart, :) I like talking about him. He's such a treat. We had a date on Tuesday. He made me supper and then he'd arranged to go look at houses with our real estate agent. Yes, we have a house...but I just love that kind of thing and she's been bored lately, so we went on an adventure. There was actually one house that had a garage (which is a real perk in Brandon and we'd love for our next home to have one), but we just didn't like the house as much as we like our house. Our house is great. It's small, but it's homey and I don't have to spend forever cleaning! Anyway...back to the date...after house dreaming, we came home and sat on the couch and talked for almost two hours. It was nice to talk about future things. It was interesting to talk about past vacations. The rule for the date was that it had to be under $10.

I think we've decided in our DINK time, to learn to live on only one salary so that it's not a shock when we do have kids. Also, we are anxious to pay off all our student loans and such before kids. So yes, that means we have a bit of a wait....but if the grandparents are anxious for more grandchildren, they know they can make a donation!

Back to the date under $10...we're going to keep trying it and maybe write a book or magazine article (radically different undertakings!!!) to encourage quality time for couples without the burden of expense! Who knows better how to write them than someone who's experienced!

Sorry this has been rambling about non-related items...but at least I've given a little update for the both of you! :)


4 Comments:

  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said…

    Please please please! Share your "dates under $10." I'm not terribly creative when it comes to thinking up fun things to do with my hubby that aren't $$$. Thanks! :)
    -Jen

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger TL said…

    Hey Jen! Thanks for stopping by. I checked out your blog and think we probably have a lot in common. I'm from Canada though and only dream about Southern Hospitality. I teach grade 8 and students that have learning difficulties. Teaching the grade 8s about manners is much more difficult than teaching them about ancient Egypt!
    My family's been to Florida many times and my parents are currently there on vacation. I'm oh-so-jealous!
    What year are you in your degree? I'm in my third year of teaching and I'm 28. Stewart and I just got married this past summer, so there are many interesting new experiences every day. I love marriage though...I would have done it earlier if I'd known how much fun it was!
    Anyway...thanks again for dropping by. I should get a counter, too. I think I would share in your excitement!
    TL

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said…

    Hey, TL! I'm technically in my senior year of studies, but I have two years to go. *the education system in this country is abysmal...it is my personal mission to fix it someday!* I plan to graduate in the fall semester of '06.

    My best friend in high school was from Canada. You're right, we *do* have a lot in common! I'd love to talk to you more, please email me jenifer_swanepoel@yahoo.com. Always nice to make a new "blog buddy"!

    -Jen

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said…

    ***boy do I feel silly****

    Sorry there, I misspelled my email address. I get typing so fast that I don't double check. LET'S TRY AGAIN!!!

    jennifer_swanepoel@yahoo.com

    *lol at myself*
    -Jen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home