two long legs...

Monday, February 07, 2005

Family

So I love my family. The immediate and the extended and even the new family I married into. They're just neat people and I love getting to know new people with new and refreshing gifts. :)

So my Enns family is to me what the McMillans are to Stewy. It's not that they're perfect, but they all have incredibly special things about them that just don't allow you to ignore them.

This weekend, two sets of aunt and uncles came to Brandon with my grandma. They came to see my uncle Steve and their two nieces/granddaughters. It was a special time because my grandma is sick. She's really sick and the more time I spend with her, the more real it is that it's a gift that she's still with us. Seeing her this weekend was exciting as we actually got to visit for a bit, but it was also scary as I can see how much more frail she is now compared to at Christmas time. I can't even type this without the tears welling up. She's been without my grandpa for almost 6 years. She misses him so much and as she talks about her illness, she always starts with, "I've had many good years." Her first diagnosis of cancer was almost 18 years ago...we've been so blessed. It's still not any easier to prepare to say goodbye to someone so special. My mom told me at the beginning of last summer that I should prepare myself that grandma may not make it until our wedding. I thought she was crazy and continued believing she would be there. That morning, she was so ill, that they had a plan in place of who would take her to the hospital in case things got worse during the wedding. She was so determined to be there and we have the most wonderful picture of the two of us that day! I'm so fortunate to have a family that supports each other the way mine does...and now I'm a part of another family like that. I don't deserve this!

So back to this weekend, we went swimming at the hotel and then for dinner...then we played Kenasta (sp?) with 8 people! It was a great time and such a great opportunity to connect with and learn more about these wonderful people that God's put in my life. To those of you who are aunties and uncles, it's SO WORTH YOUR EFFORT to invest in the lives of your nieces and nephews...as kids and well into their adult lives. And for those of you who do this, thank you from someone who appreciates the time you took and continue to take. I hope I can be that kind of Auntie.

Wow, this seems pretty disjointed and for that I apologize. Just wanted to document the good times as life isn't always this encouraging.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said…

    You're so right about family and cherishing times together. Most of my family lives pretty far away- a full day's drive or longer, so I only get to see them once or twice in a year, if I'm lucky. I'm trying to make a point of contacting them by phone more often, though.

    Thanks for the reminder of how special family is!
    -Jen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home