two long legs...

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Stuff about Grandma E

No, it hasn't been long since I last wrote about my grandma, but the circumstances have certainly changed. She went into the hospital last Thursday (12th) after a very disoriented day at home. She has very quickly lost the independence she was hanging onto in the past week. The doctors discovered cancer in her kidneys now and with the major increase in medication she is very seldom awake and clear. Tana, the kiddos, and I went to see her this past weekend and there were moments where she knew us and moments where she just smiled and asked who we were. The doctor has given her a couple of days to maybe a week to live.

She has had a good life. She lived with a very special husband who was a great match for her until he died 6 years ago. Together they had 7 kids, losing one in his first year, and raising the rest with caring and generosity. The youngest is newly engaged to a wonderful girl named Tanya. We love her and her infectious smile! They'll have great looking babies!
Grandma and Grandpa always had time for the grandkids. Since we were some of the first to arrive, we got to have special sleepovers at G&G's and they always included singing, stories, and praying before bed.
One special memory I have of grandma was the days I spent with her between the death and funeral of my grandpa. She was filled with mixed emotions...of being excited to let grandpa go enjoy heaven, of missing him terribly, of wanting to keep her independance, of being unsure of the future, and of being ticked at grandpa for leaving her behind. We spent many moments crying together and kneeling beside her bed praying together.
Grandma was always a great gardener and housekeeper. She also helped grandpa with the family business and still had time for visiting with friends and singing in the choir. One querky thing she did was when she visited the family...or every once in awhile when you went to visit her...she would take pictures of you in front of the house. Either your house or her own house. Grandma was about the pictures. This week, as I was plugging through our storage room, I found a card she'd sent with pictures she'd taken of stuff we'd done together throughout the summer. My favorite grandma pic of all time is still the one of her and I at our wedding. She was sick that day, but VERY determined to still be there.

So my prayer for grandma now is for her to release her determined spirit into God's control and rest in the peace that will give her. Good night, grandma. I love you.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear some news about your Grandma, Taralee. I had been wondering. I hope that she is not suffering too much. I know it will be hard in many ways for you to let her go, but I think you have some great memories of her to hang onto! Please keep us posted. Are your Mom and Dad on the way home?
    Love, Mom McM

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger TL said…

    Hi mom!
    Grandma isn't suffering too much as the doctors and nurses have been really good at keeping her comfortable. The amount of medication that is taking is quite substantial though. My mom flew home on Saturday and my dad flew home last night. I think they are hoping to return to Florida for the last month of their vacation/ministry. I hope that for them as well. My uncle Steve and his new fiance were in Cancun and also came home early. The negative change this past week has been dramatic. My mom said last night that grandma was turning yellow indicating that her liver is also shutting down. Shouldn't be too much longer. S2 and I are heading out there this weekend. We don't expect her to still be around, but were planning to go anyway...it will be good to be with the family.
    Thanks for checking in and saying hello! Miss you guys,
    TL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home