two long legs...

Monday, January 23, 2006

The weekend

Well, it was another full weekend that left me wanting more down time on Sunday night! I love my job, but there certainly wasn't enough relaxation in this weekend.

Friday we stopped in Winkler on the way to Altona to see some friends we hadn't seen in awhile. It was very good to visit with them again and see how much their son has grown and developed in the past few months. I used help them with respite for him and it was a treat to see his development.

We arrived in Altona late Friday night and went to stop at the hospital. Grandma's eyes were glazed over and I don't think she noticed we were talking to her. It was quite a change in 5 days. During the day, there had been a few times where she'd breathe and then not breathe for 15-25 seconds and then breathe again. I felt like it was 'goodbye' when we left the hospital Friday night.

But, Saturday morning came and I went to say hello. She looked right at me and nodded when I said her name. It was obvious that she knew me. She didn't say anything, but when my aunt Agatha said something about our baby coming, she said 'baby' and something else that we couldn't understand. She was definately in tune with what was going on around her. Her pastor came in to read some scripture which brought out a huge smile. She listened very carefully to some of her favorite verses in Psalm 121. It was a special time to see her grasp onto God's promises. I sat together with her and several of my aunts for most of the morning. It was great to visit with them and I was again reminded of how wonderful my family is. While this has been a really stressful time for the family, it's been a great excuse to spend more time together.

Grandma has been breathing 4-6 breaths per minute since Saturday. Normal is 20 breaths per minute. They also have doubled her pain medication since Saturday morning.

Saturday afternoon was spent napping and visiting with my grandma Fehr and aunt Elma from South Carolina! What a treat! I didn't know she was coming to visit, so it was a great surprise! There was also the most beautiful snow all day Saturday. It made everything fresh and new again!

In the evening, it was back to Winkler to celebrate Christmas with the company Stewy works for. There was a banquet, games, prizes, and tonnes of food. We all stayed in a hotel for the night and then enjoyed breakfast in the morning. We had a really good time and it was great to get away from the stress of Altona.

On Sunday we met a friend for lunch and also ran into a few others I used to know. It was neat to see how their lives are now. We sped back to Brandon to catch the Women's curling final as Tanya's team was playing. They couldn't pull off a win, but it certainly was close. We chatted a bit with her and saw her beautiful ring. She was heading to Altona and then to Thompson for curling provincials on Tuesday.

We spent the evening on the couch 'watching' football. I watched with my eyes closed from about 7:00 on. Stewy kept talking to me and I informed him that I would try to grunt at the appropriate times, but really I was already sleeping! We relocated to our bed at 10 and I think I only woke up briefly twice before morning. What a great sleep! I was pretty hungry by this morning though considering I didn't eat supper.

So now we need a few days off to recuperate as usual. I am counting down the weeks until mat leave. I have 5 working weeks left and 6.5 weeks until my due date! Baby is wreaking havoc on my body, but I must say that 12 straight hours laying down gave my muscles a great break. For the first time in weeks, I woke up with no pain this morning. I think I may try to take it a little easier to see if maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. This week should be fairly low key, but there are some baby things to get ready/buy and I'm guessing that we'll be heading to Altona sometime late this week or early next week.

I'm excited to get things more prepared for baby. With all the movement I've been feeling lately, I am convinced more than ever that there actually is a baby inside me and it's ours! It's too surreal most of the time, but so exciting! We've started to do some extra cleaning around the house. I'm really hoping to get the guest bedroom closet all set to go sometime this week. Then, Stewy needs to do the music room and I think I'll do the kitchen. Then, because our house is cozy, I think that we'd be done! Things are so much easier when you have a small house.

Anyway, I've been blabbing long enough. Hope you all are enjoying your Monday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home