two long legs...

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Church Research

Our church is going through the process of revisiting our vision for ministry and preparing a "Roles and Responsibilities" document for our pastor at the request of our pastor. I realize that each congregation has their own focus for ministry, however I was wondering if any of your churches have a R&R document for your pastor (ok, that's a funny acronym)?

I guess I'm wondering:
  • what we need to include (e.g. a specific list of administrative duties or just a comment that says "Fulfill administrative needs of the church")
  • what types of things are biblically pastoral roles
  • what are NOT pastoral obligations (in a church of 60 people)
  • ideas as to what are realistic expectations and unrealistic expectations for a full time pastor of a small congregation

I don't know what else to ask. I know that many of you that drop in from time to time are involved in ministry either in a pastoral role or in other leadership roles. I'm very interested in how you would respond to the above as well as what else I should be asking about!

Please either respond here or email me (since most of you are family). If your church has a document like this that isn't confidential, I would be most interested in reading an example.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to your ideas!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger TL said…

    Ok, so this may not be a sexy topic...but I could really use your help!

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Tim and/or Wyatt said…

    I'm going to send you an email with a few things, but obviously we've been thinking about some of the same things since we are looking for someone new here in Yellowknife. We have found material from Bill Easum (www.easumbandy.com) very helpful in this area Steve has read more of his stuff and might be able to advise...
    Tim

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger TL said…

    Tim, you were in the 'perfect cousin-in-law' category when you sent that stuff to my mailbox. Thank you ever so much. It's so good to get an outside perspective. I haven't read through it all yet, but even the skimming brought me excitement. Thanks again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home